Luxury Castle Retreat – Maremma, Tuscany, Italy
“On certain days, with clear blue sky, the sea appears in the far distance and the fresh salty sea breeze blows inland.”
This 12th-century castle in the Tuscan coastal region of Maremma is independently owned and operated by Aurora and Carlo Baccheschi Berti. Before renovating this ancient structure into the luxurious accommodation that it is today, Aurora worked in fashion for 20 years, producing women’s wear in Indonesia, while Carlo worked in publicity for the fashion business. They both lived in Bali for 18 years, until 1993. Castello di Vicarello opened as a hotel in 2003, a new spa opened in 2008, and in 2012 the Castello celebrated its 900th anniversary!
Today, Carlo’s passions include the Tuscan landscape, environmental issues, his vineyard and winery, organic farming and hunting. Aurora has a passion for yoga and cooking. Both love beauty, tranquility, and authenticity. They have three sons, who love hunting, sailing, and escaping to their parents property.
At Castello di Vicarello history lives on each path, in each stone, and every wall sings a song of the ancient past. A stay at the Castello is truly the experience of a lifetime, a destination for all seasons. In the spring, the fragrance of flowers remains in the air. In summer, the days heat is tempered by an evening breeze coming from the sea. And autumn is harvest time – grapes, olives, and mushrooms – while the forest is cloaked in autumn colors. You’ll spend your days here luxuriating on the property, or exploring beyond. Relax at the edge of the two pools, hike in the woods nearby, or explore the surrounding vineyards and olive groves, with opportunities to learn or even help with the harvest! The towns of Maremma and Siena are nearby, offering the opportunity to explore the surrounding Tuscan landscape and culture.
The kitchen is always open to guests: central to the castle’s intimate house-party spirit, this stone clad realm of wonderful aromas and taste sensations is an irresistible draw. And this is where cooking classes with Aurora take place. Come and swap recipes while chopping parsley, take an impromptu course in homemade pasta, or simply watch the action over a glass of robust red wine, a product of Carlos’s vineyard. And then, at lunch or dinner, sample the results: light, creative Tuscan cuisine, based on herbs and vegetables, from the Castle’s own kitchen garden.
Aurora & Carlo Baccheschi Berti
- Wine tasting with Carlo and tour of the vineyards with explanations of the trellis system
- Cooking classes with Aurora
- Learn all about Italy’s prized Pecorino cheese – visit a local producer, tour a small dairy farm, and enjoy a tasting!
- Trekking in the nearby woods (maps provided)
- Excursion at “La Valle di Buriano” hunting reserve with barbeque under the stars (summer high season)
- Mushroom and edible boletus picking at “La Valle di Buriano” (autumn)
- Olive harvest (autumn)
- Wine harvest (autumn)
- Day in Siena to watch the “Palio” horse race
- “Maremman Cowboys” show at “La Valle di Buriano” (autumn)
- The secrets of falconry show with hawks
- Visit some of the fine artisans in Maremma (map provided)
… and much more.